'Stand by Me' was a classic movie from the mid-80s. Based on the Stephen King short story 'The Body', it was a heartfelt coming of age story of young boys on a search for a dead body. Since then, it has be come a bona fide classic. 25 years later, the movie celebrated and King has mentioned that it one of the best movie ever made from his stories.
On Thursday, Jerry O'Connell, Corey Feldman and Wil Wheaton -- the three remaining principal stars of "Stand by Me" -- reunited at the Falcon Theater in Toluca Lake, California.
The occasion: The 25th anniversary (with accompanying DVD/Blu-ray release) of the coming-of-age '50s-era 1986 classic. (Director Rob Reiner and narrator Richard Dreyfuss were also on hand for the look back.)
O'Connell, now 37, Feldman, now 39, and Wheaton, now 37, played pals barely in their teens on the hunt for a dead body, based on a story written by Stephen King.
Sorely missed from the reunion: Their famous co-star River Phoenix, who made a legendary impression in the moving flick, and died of a drug overdose in 1993 at the age of 23.
As for Phoenix's co-stars? O'Connell (who was a pudgy pre-teen in the flick) is now married with twins to Rebecca Romjin, and stars in the TV series "The Defenders."
Wheaton went on to become a regular on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and other sci-fi TV shows and films, and has a popular blog, Wil Wheaton Dot Net. He's also married with two stepsons.
Feldman has had his own struggles with drugs and alcohol, and in 2010 mourned the loss of his pal and fellow child star Corey Haim. He is now a lead singer for the band The Truth Movement.
Robert Pattinson doesn’t like to fly anymore, because flying means airports, and airports mean encountering people who might go bananas when they see him, screaming and crying and trying to touch him and asking him to bite their necks. Shy, for an actor, Pattinson, who turns 25 next month, says he finds the hysteria that has surrounded him ever since he first appeared as the gallant teenage vampire Edward Cullen in the first Twilight movie, in 2008, “quite strange.”
“This thing with everyone knowing you,” he says one day in Baton Rouge, where he’s filming the fourth and fifth installments in the Twilight saga,Breaking Dawn: Part I and Part II,“it’s weird, because people have this one-sided relationship where they look at your picture and feel they know you more than someone they actually know.” And, Pattinson adds, “I don’t really know myself that well.”
Before the packed SXSW world premiere of The Beaver, the new Jodie Foster movie starring Mel Gibson, there was an interestingly anxious energy in the air. What would it be like to see Gibson on screen again? Could an audience give themselves over to his portrait of a severely depressed man who copes by communicating with the world with a beaver hand puppet? Or would his ugly tape-recorded voice, which too many indulged in listening to when his rageful phone conversations with ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva went public last year, play as background noise?
Here’s the thing: In the film, Gibson plays a man who hates himself, a flattened, desperate father who has made a wreck of his family (Foster plays his wife; the deeply interesting young actor Anton Yelchin his teenage son). His demons are dark and powerful, and yet the performance is quiet and dear. In some ways, it’s the only role I can imagine inspiring any compassion in audiences for Mel Gibson.
Last fall brought the news that Neil Gaiman’s multiple award-winning graphic novel series,The Sandman, would be realized as a television show under the guidance ofSupernatural creator Eric Kripke.
Now there’s word from Kripke himself that development of the project has stalled for the time being – but he remains hopeful about being able to tell the tale of Morpheus King of Dreams and his immortal siblings on the small screen in the future.
While attending the Supernatural panel at the 2011 PaleyFest, Kripke informed THR that:
“Unfortunately, for a lot of varying reasons, ‘Sandman’ is not in the works, at least for this season… [It] just didn’t happen this season through nobody’s fault, and hopefully we can do it again in the future.”
Steven Soderbergh says he's done with Hollywood.
The Oscar-winning director -- whose credits include "Traffic," "Erin Brockovich" and "Ocean's Eleven" and its two sequels -- said in an interview with "Studio 360's" Kurt Andersen that after he shoots his next two movies he's planning to retire from filmmaking.
"When you reach the point where you're, like, 'if I have to get into a van to do anther scout I'm just going to shoot myself,' it's time to let somebody else who's still excited about getting in the van, get in the van," Soderbergh, 48, he said in the interview that aired Friday on "Studio 360."
"And so it's just time. For the last three years, I've been turning down everything that comes my way, so you're not going to have Steven Soderbergh to kick around anymore," he quipped.
Soderbergh said he's got two more movies to shoot -- "Liberace," starring Damon and Michael Douglas, and "Man From U.N.C.L.E.," starring George Clooney -- and then he's going to call it quits.
"That's a great way to sort of step off," he said.
In 1998, producer-director Ivan Reitman teamed with lawyer-turned-studio chiefTom Pollock, 67, to create the Montecito Picture Co., named after the community near Santa Barbara where they lived. Eight years later, they became the first producers to line up about $200 million in private equity to back their movies (through a side company called Cold Spring Pictures). Their slate has been unusually successful, with hits including Disturbia (2007) and Oscar nominee Up in the Air (2009), directed by Jason Reitman.
January’s No Strings Attached, the first movie that Reitman, 64, had directed in five years, grossed more than $100 million worldwide on a budget of $25 million for Paramount, where the longtime friends are based. But they also make movies at other studios, including Reitman’s planned Ghostbusters III for Sony — if Bill Murray ever gets around to reading the script.
READ MORE AT HR REPORTER
Besides an outstanding script based on a bestselling novel, Ryan Phillippe was drawn to The Lincoln Lawyer because the film takes place in Los Angeles. He could make an incredible film, working with some of the best in the business such as Matthew McConaughey, William H. Macy, Marisa Tomei and Michael Pena (Battle: Los Angeles), while still being able to come home to his children each night.
The Lincoln Lawyer is the story of Mick Haller (McConaughey), an attorney who works out of the back of his black Lincoln. He gets a tip about a Beverly Hills man, Roulet (Phillippe), who has been charged with attempted murder of a female companion. After meeting Roulet, McConaughey’s Haller takes the case and immediately everything is not what it seems.
Stay with SheKnows all week as we interview the cast including McConaughey, Pena and country superstar Trace Adkins, who also appears in the film. And don’t miss our review on March 18.
The first feature-length film made specifically for Internet distribution, "Girl Walks Into a Bar," debuts Friday to a potential worldwide audience of millions on YouTube.
Directed by Sebastian Gutierrez - who, coincidentally, has another micro-budgeted film, "Elektra Luxx," opening Friday at West L.A.'s Nuart Theatre - "Girl" could establish a new path for increasingly under-exposed, small independent films to find substantial audiences.
"It's so hard for independent movies to get bought and put out," Gutierrez said. "And there's so many of them - 2,000, maybe, last year, and only one of them was `Winter's Bone.' And the ones that do get released only play in two theaters, five theaters."
"Girl" is a comic noir mystery, made up of 10, 10-minute, narratively interlocked scenes. This enabled natural commercial breaks, which have been filled on YouTube by presenting sponsor Lexus.
Warner Bros. hopes to cash in on the millions of movie addicts on the social networking platform Facebook. The studio announced it will start a test program where it will provide movies for rent and sale through Facebook, but for a brief period.
Come March 8, Facebook users will be able to use Facebook credits to view The Dark Knight through the movie s official fan page on Facebook. The movie will be available for 30 Facebook credits or $3. People will be able view these movies for 48 hours on their Facebook accounts.
Facebook credits have commonly been used for games like Farmville and Mafia wars on the social networking site. Originally these credits were introduced to eliminate the credit card but they are yet to go mainstream. Lets see if Warner Bros. offering has any effect on its success.
But, sadly this feature is currently not available in India. The website says that it is currently not available in Indian region.
Warner Bros. has been toying with new ideas through which they plan to distribute their productions. Recently, they introduced an iPad app for Inception through which people could view the movie and special features. They plan to introduce such apps for other movies too. These can be bought in India but at the price of close-to $20, these movies will be as expensive as a Blu-ray disc.
Powered by WP Robot